Sunday, November 07, 2004

 

Genetically Re-engineering the Republican Party


What should Democrats be doing prior to the next election? I don't mean what should the Democratic Party be doing to win the next time, I mean what should individual Democrats do?

I'll tell you what I, a life long Democrat, moderate on social issues and conservative on the economy, am very tempted to do: switch parties.

But not for the reasons you might suspect.

I'm considering doing so not out of any disgust or dissatisfaction with the Democrats, nor out of a fatalistic sense of "if you can't beat 'em join 'em," and it's not out of any desire to be on the winning side for a change.

I simply mean, screw them - not to hell with them. I mean, let's inseminate them.

I supported Kerry, but I wasn't that enthusiastic about him. The Democrats have certainly prevailed in the past and will certainly prevail again, so I'm not worried about that either.

No. What I propose is to inject some new genetic material into the DNA of the Republican party. In other words, to dilute the purity of the Republican gene pool.

If enough Democrats switch parties, the Republicans will have to shift to more moderate positions and enforce a moderate ideology on their own candidates. Then I wouldn't mind voting Republican no matter which party I belonged to.

You know, on second thought, to hell with them after all. Let's fix the Democratic party, find some decent candidates for 2006 and give them Republican turkeys a run for the money!


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?